This access statement does not
contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs,
but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all
Access Statement for Well Cottage
Well Cottage is a Listed 17th
Century weavers cottage in the lovely village of Beckington,
about 12 miles south of Bath. There is a big kitchen/diner and living room with
inglenook fireplace on the ground floor. On the first floor the cottage has a
main bedroom with king-size bed, and a twin bedroom. The bathroom, which has a
bath with shower over, is also on the first floor.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any
queries or require any assistance please phone 01276 505866, or 07949 274894 or
- The nearest railway station is
in Frome, with a larger mainline station in
- There are several buses serving
Beckington. The bus stops are near the Memorial
Hall, just along from the cottage.
- None of the very local taxi
companies seem to offer wheelchair-access cars, but Tony’s
Cabs in Frome has a car with a large boot that
is regularly used to put a disabled customer’s wheelchair in. The company
can be contacted on: 01373 469898.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- We have a Keysafe
located down the steps to the undercroft, although we often post the keys
directly to the guest several days before the arrival date. Our
housekeeper is available to meet guests at the cottage with prior
- Directly outside the cottage is
a parking layby which serves the 4 houses in
this section of Bath Road. There is a kerb to
the pavement, and the road has a slight incline.
Entrance to Property
- There are 3 steps up to the
front door, with a handrail to the left-hand side. The front door is
- There is a motion-sensor light
next to the front door.
- There is a low threshold at the
- The door leads straight into
the living room which has old flagstone flooring which is uneven in
Halls, Stairs, Landings,
- There is short pile carpet
covering the stairs.
- There are 8 stairs to a small
landing where the stairs turn through 90 degrees. A further 3 stairs lead to
the first floor. The stairs have been modified from the original staircase
so that the bedroom/bathroom layout could be created on the top floor, and
as a result are quite steep.
- The stairs are at the back of
the property, through the living room. There are no passageways.
- There is a handrail on one
side, the left as you go up.
- The living room is straight
through the front door, over a low threshold.
- There is a 3-seater sofa and a
one/two-seater love seat. The seating has non-feather cushions.
- There is a low coffee table, a
nest of coffee tables and a low TV cabinet.
- The TV has a remote control.
There is a set-top box and signal booster.
- There is a DVD player inside
the TV cabinet.
- There are wall lights, windows
at the front of the room and a door to the garden at the back of the room.
- The door to the garden is up a
step of 120mm/4.75 inches in height. The door opening is 730mm/28.6 inches
- The kitchen is on the ground
floor. It is accessed from the living room. The door opening is
762mm/30ins wide and has a wood panel door with latch.
- There is a low step (40mm/1.5
inches high) into the kitchen from the living room.
- The oven door drops down.
- The Belfast sink is 880mm/34.75
inches above floor level
- The hob is at worktop height,
915mm/36 inches above floor level.
- The fridge in fitted under the
worktop. A separate free-standing freezer is alongside.
- The table is 762mm/30 inches
high. Four chairs (460mm/18 inches high) are provided, but six people
could sit around the table. The table is near a window seat that is the
same height as the chairs.
- There is a door to the
courtyard garden from the kitchen. It is 760mm/30 inches wide.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- Both bedrooms are upstairs.
- Bedroom one has a king-size
bed. The doorway is 740mm/29 inches wide. There is a wardrobe, tall chest
of drawers, chair and bedside chest of drawers in the room.
- Bedroom two has two single
beds. The doorway is 740mm/29 inches wide. There is a chest of drawers, a
bedside cabinet and a chair in the room.
- The sofa in the living room is
a sofa-bed. We would suggest occasional use only as it has no separate
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and
- The cottage has one bathroom,
which is upstairs. The doorway is 740mm/29 inches wide.
- There is a bath with shower
over. Bath side is 550mm/21.75 inches high
- Toilet is 410mm/16.25 inches
- Washbasin is 825mm/32.5 inches
- There is a small courtyard at
the back of the cottage, with access from the kitchen or the living room.
- Kitchen doorway to courtyard is
760mm/30 inches wide.
- The doorway from the living
room has a step up, then a step down to the courtyard. (see picture)
- A wrought-iron table and
plastic chairs are in the courtyard, as is a Barbecue (not always
available in off season)
- The courtyard is partially
paved, and the rest is cement.
- There is a small, low-level
- All the doors are dark wood, all the walls are light in colour.
- There can be poor mobile phone
reception. A landline is provided.
- The Information Folder gives
details of chemists and medical facilities. The A&E is in Bath, 12-15
miles away. Frome (3-4 miles away) has a
hospital without an A&E department.
Address (Inc postcode):
Owners' contact details: Pat and
Caroline Snell 28 Lansdowne Road Frimley GU16 9UW
01276 505866, or 07949 274894
Local Public Transport:
Buses to Bath: route 267. Buses to
Chippenham: route 234 Bus stop is a little way up
from the cottage towards the Memorial Hall, on the same side of the road as
the cottage. Buses to Frome: routes 234 and 267. Bus stop on opposite side of
the road from the cottage, up towards the Memorial Hall. Timetables provided
in the Information File. Nearest train station is in Frome, 4-5 miles away,
with a more mainline station at Bath Spa.